Saturday 2 March 2013

A week full of adventure...

Wowzers!!! What a very busy week this has been... with lot's of school events in Devon filled with adventure stories and a great deal of creative writing from some very talented students!

On Monday morning I attended Galmpton Primary School near Brixham to host the third of four literacy workshops with a class of year 6 pupils. We are just one step away from completing their book publication project for the school, which will feature the children's "disaster-themed" stories. Then in the afternoon I visited Brixham C of E Primary School to complete their publication project... uploads were completed and class 6 have created a fantastic book of short stories, which is now available to purchase online and titled "The Mystery Piano"... please look out for it and support the project!


On Tuesday it was time to work with the Gifted and Talented children again from all 12 schools in the Totnes Learning Community. We held the final "Character Building" workshop in the library at KEVICC and I'm really looking forward to the awards ceremony on 12th March in the Aerial Theatre where the winning character will be chosen to feature in my next Bradley Baker adventure; the Gullfather of New York.


Cockington Community Primary School was my next stop on Wednesday morning... the first of four literacy workshops. Sixty children were chosen to take part in character profiling sessions, which will lead to the publication of their very own school book of short adventure stories. I'm looking forward to our next session in three weeks time... after the children have drafted their stories ready for editing!

Thursday was a very interesting day and a change to my normal routine... in the morning I was invited to judge a poetry competition at Abbey School in Torquay. Special thanks to Kirsty Porter for asking me to assess the finalists, who represented children from all age groups who were outstanding and it was a difficult task to choose the overall winners. I will be returning to Abbey School next week to showcase my Bradley Baker adventure books and affording the children an opportunity to have their very own books signed too. In the afternoon I whizzed upto Exeter to attend a showcase presentation at Countess Wear Community Primary School... and I returned the following day to host a book signing event. A massive thank you to Louise, Julie, Gilly and Bryony for all your help. The children were very excited when I arrived and I received a fantastic reception... following a presentation by the Lord Mayor in the hall, the eager students made their way to the library and certainly showed how enthused they were by purchasing copious amounts of books from my signing table!


On Friday, I also attended St Sidwell's Primary School in the heart of Exeter's Cathedral City and the children loved the Bradley Baker showcase... and a big thank you to Fliss for arranging the event. I'll be returning next Monday to meet all the children again to answer questions and hold a book signing event in the school library.

I'm very much looking forward to "World Book Week"... next week is crammed-packed with more school events and I'll update you on how they all went next time.

Bye for now and thanks for reading this latest blog update... have a great week!
Best wishes, DLJ

No comments:

Post a Comment